4 December 2013

Sofia Coppola

I haven't watched The Bling Ring yet, but I read this interview with Sofia Coppola (about the movie and other stuff) and I couldn't help but 100% agree with her point of view about how our generation/current times have been ruled and that contributed to her last movie, The Bling Ring that is.
I've kinda wrote about this issue, my personal viewpoint of course, here & here, and that's why this specifically quote of her stopped me: 
It is almost as if your experiences don’t count unless you have an audience watching them.

(...)
Coppola: When I read the Vanity Fair article about these kids, it summed up everything that I think is declining in our culture. And it just doesn’t feel like anyone is talking about it. Kids are inundated with reality TV and tabloid culture so much that this just seems normal. When I go to a concert, everyone is filming and photographing themselves and then posting the pictures right away. It is almost as if your experiences don’t count unless you have an audience watching them. There are even videos of kids having their sweet-16 birthdays and they want a red-carpet V.I.P. theme. This movie [The Bling Ring] was about an extreme version of this. 

Radziwill: Does that fascinate you or frighten you or bewilder you? 

Coppola: It frightens me, and it just seems like this trash culture is becoming acceptable as mainstream culture.
(...)

Source: NY Times

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...