5 May 2014

3 Ways To Be More Sustainable, by Sabrina Meijer

Thought I'd share this post written by Sabrina about an issue I've approaching somehow here...
Last week I spent a couple of days in Copenhagen to attend the Fashion Summit, an event on sustainability in fashion that takes place every other year. Most of us – including me – don’t really think too much when buying clothes.

Of course I don’t buy clothes just for the sake of buying them, I do think about whether I am actually going to wear them (duhh). But I have to admit I don’t always think about the many hands on the other side of the line… And for example the amount of water that is used to make a simple t-shirt. Or a heavily washed pair of denim.

While at the Summit, I realized ‘being sustainable’ is a very very relative concept. Because what is sustainability exactly? And how sustainable does one need to be to be called sustainable?
H&M for example has their Conscious Collections, which I feel is a great initiative. But at the same time they produce humongous amounts of normal collections each year. Is it really necessary to have new things in store each week?
The Summit left me with questions – which I believe is a good thing – and also made think a bit more conscious about the things I can do as an individual. Little things.

1. I don’t buy in bulk. No, this is not my best 5 Piece French Wardrobe season, but these adventures do definitely help me think (way!) more consciously before I make any purchases. Excessive consumerism is never a good thing, neither are unworn clothes with their tags still on.

2. I try to not waste anything (fabric in this case). To be able to understand which items in my wardrobe get worn the least, I turn around all hangers and turn them back whenever I wear something. Anything that’s still turned around by the end of the year (they deserve a chance in each four seasons), they have to go out. I either take them to a second hand store, sell them online or – when there’s holes or stains (like old socks) – I try to collect them all in a bag and take them to H&M for their recycling bins.

3. I only wash when necessary and never tumble dry. Also, I very rarely iron. I would rather put a silk top or shirt in the bathroom while I am taking a hot shower than take the iron out.

When you buy your clothes, do you ever think of where they come from? Who made them? How they were made? What happens when you wash 7 times a week? Let’s discuss!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...